1. Recess will be one of those extraordinarily wonderful things in your life that you will never get back. Don’t take a single minute of it for granted, because once you hit middle school, there will be no structured playtime for you.
2. People you consider your close friends won’t always be there. Make sure you’re ready to face that kind of disappointment and understand the meaning behind it. You’re much stronger than you look, so don’t let them tell you otherwise.
3. Try to care for yourself as much as you care for others. It’s important to find a balance, because not everyone feels that way about others. There are some people only out for themselves, and you’ll make a significant difference by deviating from that norm.
4. You’ll make the best unconditional friends you’ll ever have in college. Don’t worry about all the people that are gonna try to screw you because the friends I’m talking about will be worth all of that. They’re the best people you’ll ever know.
5. Your skin is going to go from perfect to absolutely awful in what feels like five seconds, and it’s going to last into your twenties. A bunch of doctors are going to give you antibiotics that make you sick, creams that don’t work, and a bunch of other stuff you’d never want to spend 20 minutes of your nighttime routine doing. Do your best to be patient, and know that what’s under your skin is much more important than what’s on the outside. Beauty doesn’t change the world. Brains do.
6. Write and create as much as you possibly can. Creating is your thing and will always be. It’s not just a phase of your childhood. It’s your calling in life and you need to follow it in every way that you can. Don’t limit it to pen and paper. Use your words and your hands to creative expressions of yourself. You won’t regret the fulfillment and happiness that you’ll experience from it.
7. When people tell you what you can and can’t do, don’t believe it. You’ve gotten so far doing the things that you love, and the way people tried to dictate your way of living didn’t and won’t stop your determination. Figure out what’s best for your life and run with it. You need to live with yourself, so when it comes down to it, the opinions of what you do with your life don’t add up.
8. When you’re stressed, don’t resist the gym. It’ll prove to be a great place to calm yourself down in the long run, and it’ll keep you happy, too! Turns out you really enjoy teaching at a gym because it’s one of the few places you feel right at home.
9. Take time to smell the roses every once in a while. Life will get busy with schoolwork, friends, extracurricular activities, and dating. Just take some time for yourself every once in a while.
10. Be fearless.