1. ALWAYS BACK UP YOUR COMPUTER. I can’t stress that enough! I was devastated when my computer crashed, but luckily, I was able to back some of the most important stuff before the hard drive was replaced. Please, for the love of all things, do yourself a favor and back up your important document at least. I’m surprised my hair didn’t fall out from the combination of Final’s Week, a broken computer, and online exams that I couldn’t take on my own laptop. Just no.
2. Wear sunscreen for the sake of wearing sunscreen. I know it’s sticky, uncomfortable, messy….blah blah blah. I’ve heard the excuses. But you know what else it does, besides drive you crazy? It protects your skin. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to my skin to look like a leather purse when I hit 40. It’s some good advice, especially for those of us who are lucky to live in the Sunshine state. Protect it!
3. If you like a vegetable, don’t question it. Just eat it as much of it as you can. As a kid, I never used to like vegetables, just because they were good for me. But now, for some unknown reason, not only do I like vegetables, but I’m kind of obsessed with broccoli and lima beans. I eat them like candy. I am not questioning this, and neither should you. Stay healthy, my friends.
4. If you feel pain when working out, give it the time to heal. This may sound self explanatory, but working out on a pained muscle is like expecting a computer to update when it’s shut down. It just doesn’t make sense. Like you, I always want to be instantly gratified. I want things to just magically get better, but I also know that most of the time, that gratification won’t come soon enough. Just sit on it, but please, if it’s your leg or foot or something, do not do this literally.
5. Don’t buy clothes that don’t currently fit. You see this gorgeous dress, right? But they only have the size below yours. Bummer, yes. But should you make the spontaneous purchase in the hopes of it being a good choice, and a goal piece? Hell no. Do not do that. Unless you’re already on your way to a slimmer figure, it’s best to just buy for your size. Wear and buy what feels right, not what will feel “right” in the future.
6. Coffee is the blood of the gods. In high school, or at least the beginning of high school, I kinda just laid low on the coffee front, mostly because I was afraid that it would have the same effects as red bull. Crazy right? But you can’t blame me. Red bull gives me all kinds of shakes and shudders. But see, once I discovered coffee….the sunshine of my life came crashing through my eye balls. I could finally stay awake FOREVER. Hours upon hours of applying my energy to whatever I want or whatever I need to do! It’s hard to believe that this realization wasn’t in my grasp sooner!
7. If things don’t go exactly according to plan, or they blow up in your face, learn to take a deep breath. I could’ve used this advice in the instances before in which I had no control over how I felt BECAUSE I was stressed. See, it’s easier said than done, but once you know how to keep your cool when times get tough, it’s smooth sailing. I’m learning an relearning this every single day as a sufferer of anxiety, but it’s given me perspective that allows me to move forward effectively.
8. Magazines can’t tell you what you need to look like. If you’re comfortable in your skin, good for you. Most of us aren’t, and sometimes I even struggle with this still. It’s important to realize that the images portrayed in magazines ARE NOT REAL. I repeat, THEY ARE NOT REAL. They are images that have been idealized. Look at them like they’re art, but do not look upon them like they are what you should be. Not even the MODELS of those images look like that! THEY can’t even measure up to their OWN standards. Be you, because you’re hot and fabulous. But seriously.
9. Discouragement should make you work harder. People will shoot their discouragement at you like bullets. Build a thick skin, and when they think that you can’t do something, gladly prove them wrong. They don’t know who they’re messing with, but I know you can show ’em.
10. Life gets better. I know it may not seem like it. Car broke down? Boyfriend or girlfriend decided that it was time to call it “quitsies”? Exam grades bombed? Life feels like it’s constantly taking headshots and not giving you any time to retaliate? Life does get better. It may not seem like it now, or tomorrow, or the next day. But it WILL. Inveitably, something will happen that will put the ball in your court. Get ready for it.
I hope you guys enjoyed my 10 pieces of advice! These are the little things I have accumulated throughout my own life that have given me perspective for my future endeavors, and I thought they could come to use, maybe, for someone else. I REALLY hope they do.
Do you have any of your own advice?